Teach Oscail Family Resource Centre (TOFRC) is located in Cavan Town and provides a wide range of family support and community development services for the urban and rural communities across County Cavan.
This is a great opportunity to join a new board, gain experience and give back to the local community. The FRC is rooted in the local community and all work is underpinned by community development principles and practices. A key feature of TOFRC work is the involvement of local people in identifying needs and developing needs-led responses.
TOFRC is looking to recruit a Chair to guide the future growth and development of the centre and influence the strategic direction of the FRC to support positive change in all its supports and services.
The ideal candidate will be a great communicator, will build strong relationships with the CEO and board members, will be objective and be an effective leader who will develop and support teams to achieve the long-term objectives of the FRC. Previous experience on a Board of Management and/or the Community Development Sector would be helpful.
General duties of the Chair is to:
- Effectively communicating the vision and purpose of the organisation, to ensure the Board functions well and that there is full participation at meetings
- To plan and Chair meetings in accordance with the governing document
Input into the Agenda of meetings and ensure that board members can reach decisions
- To liaise with the CEO and to keep up to date on the affairs of the FRC
- To take a lead in compliance responsibilities
- Bring impartiality and objectivity to meetings and decision-making
- Ensure that decisions made at meetings are implemented
- Be aware of current issues that might affect the organisation
- Advocate for and represent the organisation at external meetings and events if required
Take the lead role in the appraisal of the work of the Chief Executive Officer and act as line management on behalf of the Board
- Acting in the best interest of the charity