Down Syndrome Sligo is now seeking a branch secretary. We are seeking someone with the right skills and an interest in the area of disability and the work of Down Syndrome Ireland (Sligo Branch)
If you are interested in this role we would love to hear from you.
The Branch and Management Committee
Down Syndrome Sligo is a relatively small branch with approximately 70 members across the county. The management committee currently has 4 officers (2 chairpersons) and 4 committee members. The committee meets once a month and communicates regularly through a WhatsApp Group.
The management committee would welcome new faces and ideas to the group. There is also a part time coordinator of services in place who can support the person initially in their new role.
Committee Meetings are well organised and there is a standard agenda each month.
The role of the Secretary is to support the Chair in ensuring the smooth functioning of the Management Committee.
The Secretary is responsible for:
- Ensuring meetings are effectively organised and minuted
- Maintaining effective records and administration
- Communication and correspondence
The Secretary acts as an information and reference point for the Chair and other committee members in clarifying past decisions; confirming any legal requirements; and retrieving relevant documentation.
Main responsibilities of the Secretary
1. Ensuring meetings are effectively organised and minuted
- Liaising with the Chair to plan meetings
- Receiving agenda items from committee members
- Circulating agendas and reports
- Taking minutes
- Circulating approved minutes
- Checking that agreed actions are carried out.
2. Maintaining effective records and administration
- Acting as custodian of the organisation's governing document
- Checking quorum is present at meetings
- Ensuring AGM’s and officer elections are held in line with the governing document
- Ensuring organisation's activities are in line with its objects
- Ensuring charity requirements are met
3. Communication and correspondence
- Responding to all committee correspondence
- Filing all committee correspondence received and copies of replies sent
- Preparing a report of the organisation's activities for the year, for the AGM.