American Football Ireland (AFI) is the National Governing Body (NGB) for the sport of American Football in Ireland and is responsible for all regulatory, competition, performance and development aspects of the game. Its activities are many and varied and include the following:
- The organisation and promotion of all amateur domestic national competitions across both contact and non contact versions of the game.
- The organisation and promotion of the national teams in international competition.
- The promotion of the game to people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities and the provision of opportunities for their engagement and development.
- The regulation of the game on and off the field of play through oversight of its rules.
- The representation of the Irish game to national and international partners, be they sporting organisations, federations or commercial interests.
American Football Ireland is recognised as the NGB by Sport Ireland and Sport Northern Ireland and is an associate member of the International Federation of American Football (IFAF).