The overall role of a treasurer is to maintain an overview of the Hive’s financial affairs, ensuring its viability and that proper financial records and procedures are maintained. The role can also be undertaken by a finance sub-committee. The role and person specification are summarized below.
General financial oversight:
- To oversee and present budgets, accounts and financial statements,
- To liaise with designated staff regards financial matters,
- To ensure that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place,
- To ensure compliance with relevant legislation,
- To ensure any recommendations of the auditors are implemented,
- To ensure accounts meet the conditions of contractual agreements with external agencies such as funders and statutory bodies.
Financial planning and reporting
- To present financial reports to the Board of Management,
- To make a presentation of the accounts at the annual genera meeting (AGM),
- To advice on the Hive’s reserves and asset management,
- To advise on the financial implications of the Hive’s strategic and operational plans.
- To chair meetings of the finance sub-committee
Qualities and skills required:
- Experience of financial control and budgeting,
- Good communication and interpersonal skills,
- A willingness to be contacted on an ah hoc basis,
- Ability to ensure decisions are taken and followed up.
Time Commitment Required:
The role of the treasurer requires an estimated commitment of four hours per month.