Established in 2004, Misean Cara is an Irish faith-based organisation supporting the overseas development work of missionaries. Collectively, Misean Cara’s members work in over 50 countries and are part of a much bigger global missionary network that extends across the world with an extensive reach in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
Irish missionaries have a long and distinguished history of working with excluded and vulnerable communities overseas, upholding rights to education, health and livelihoods, responding to emergencies, mobilising communities and advocating on their behalf. Their extraordinary work has been acknowledged both at home and abroad as having greatly contributed to international development.
The Programmes Oversight Committee (POC) is a sub-committee of the board and provides oversight of Misean Cara's funding to members, programme quality and monitoring and evaluation systems.
POC membership criteria
- General understanding of and sympathy towards the Missionary Approach to Development
- Management of development or emergency responses
- Monitoring, evaluation, research and learning
- Results based management.
- Project Management skills
- Technical skills in budget management
- Critical and analytical skills.
- Lived experience of the Missionary Approach to Development
- Living and working experience in the Global South
- Experience of working in Misean Cara priority sectors, overseas
- Practical common sense, with an understanding of the cultural environment.