Are you passionate about LGBTQ+ film? GAZE Film Festival, Ireland’s longest-running celebration of queer cinema, is looking for new Directors to join our Board.
For three decades, GAZE Film Festival has been a cultural pillar of the Irish LGBTQ+ community. GAZE celebrates the finest LGBTQ+ cinema, developing the art form for artists and filmmakers, and creating an annual shared cultural space for the community. Each year we present over 25 screenings including features, documentaries, short film programmes, conversations and industry events, workshops and social spaces to discuss and celebrate film and the art of storytelling in an LGBTQ+ context. GAZE is supported by the Arts Council, our lead sponsor Accenture, our Festival Friends, and many other diverse funders and sponsors. The 2023 festival will take place from 3rd-7th August.
We are looking for people who can bring their unique perspective to GAZE and are committed to bringing world-class LGBTQ+ cinema to Dublin – making contexts for diverse audiences to see their stories reflected on screen and for emerging filmmakers to imagine new horizons for queer cinema.
We are eager to hear from interested board candidates from across the LGBTQ+ spectrum as well as committed allies of the LGBTQ+ community, particularly if you might have experience in any of the following areas:
- any aspect of the film industry
- business development and networking
- equality, diversity and inclusion
We welcome applications from everyone but would like to encourage applications by people from a diversity of national, ethnic or cultural groups (including, but not limited to, Asian, Black, Traveller and minority ethnic, refugees, people with disabilities, working-class and LGBTQ+ people).
- Be part of a landmark 30+ year Irish LGBTQ+ event with a worldwide reputation.
- Meet new people, network, be associated with the fantastic reputation of GAZE, and gain hands-on Board experience.
- See cutting-edge work and meet the artists, actors and filmmakers who produce it.
- Join an active and supportive Board who are committed to GAZE and to the arts ecology of the city and beyond.
- Directors are responsible for the strategic direction of the organisation and for ensuring the highest standards of governance are upheld.
- Directors are responsible for the financial sustainability of the organisation and support the fundraising function of the organisation – this may be through joining the Subcommittee, making introductions or championing the organisation’s work to relevant contacts.
- Board members are appointed for a three-year term, with a possibility of extending for a further three years.
- The Board of GAZE meets 6-9 times annually, including the AGM.
- Board members are expected to contribute to the ongoing development of the organisation and to attend festival events where possible. We welcome applications from people with previous board or trustee experience but this is not an essential requirement.
How to Apply
To apply please submit a CV or biography outlining your current and past roles and responsibilities as well as a short expression of interest indicating why you are interested in joining the Board of GAZE at this time. Please include details of any service as a Board Director, Trustee or any other voluntary/community work, but please note that no previous experience as a Board Director or Trustee is required. Please apply by 5pm on 7th June to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a confidential conversation in advance of applying please contact GAZE Film Festival’s Chair, Tom Creed, by emailing email@example.com.