Muscular Dystrophy Ireland (MDI) is a voluntary organization, which was established in 1972 by a small group of people in the west of Ireland to support families who had a member with muscular dystrophy. Since then, it has grown considerably and it now has a membership of over 540 members and a network of branches throughout Ireland. There are now MDI offices in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Sligo, Tullamore and Kells, and MDI staff members are also based in the Mid-West and South East regions. MDI’s primary objective is to provide support for people and their families who are affected by muscular dystrophy and allied neuromuscular condition.
Muscular Dystrophy Ireland aims to provide information, advice and support to people with neuromuscular conditions and their families through a range of support services. Our objective is to promote through practical empowerment, independent living for people with the condition muscular dystrophy. MDI supports advocating for services to enable people with neuromuscular conditions to fully participate in society and to live a life of their own choosing. MDI also aims to support and fund research into neuromuscular conditions.
Current Board Members:
Dr Una McCourt
Muscular Dystrophy Ireland are seeking an individual with proven knowledge in financial management and accountancy.
Charities Regulator’s General Trustee duties of a Charity Trustee
- Comply with the Charity’s governing document
- Ensuring charity is complying with its charitable purpose for the public benefit
- Acting in the best interest of the charity
- Act with Reasonable Care and Skill
- Manage the assets of your charity
By being a trustee of Muscular Dystrophy Ireland, your responsibilities will include the following:
- Providing input to the strategic direction of the organisation and contributing with insight, oversight, and experience at board meetings and any additional commitments
- Policy development and implementation as required
- To have a deep insight into all financial policies and controls and propose any recommendations for change.
- To have oversight of compliance and risk management in the organisation.
- To be an authorised signatory of the charity.
- To play a key role across governance of the charity.
- The Director will be appointed to the Finance committee of the organisation. Their role will be to evaluate and monitor the adequacy of Financial controls and procedures and ensure the organisation is compliant with best practice principles.
Desired Skills/Qualities required for this role:
- The candidate must be a qualified Accountant, ACA or CIMA qualified, ideally with at least 5 years senior management experience.
- Commitment to the highest levels of governance
- Experience serving on not-for-profit Board of Directors or sub-committees
- An understanding of and commitment to our mission and values
There will be six board meetings a year. Meetings will be held at the MDI HQ in Dublin or online. The Director will be expected to sit on the Finance sub-committee. The committee meets six times a year prior to the board meetings.