Neighbourhood Network is an Irish not-for-profit organisation which aims to promote social inclusion, tackle loneliness and build supportive and resilient neighbourhoods around Ireland. Our work creates communities of empowered people, with a strong sense of local identity, and builds empathy and understanding between neighbours.
We believe that building connections between neighbours increases the strength of the community overall and leads to more inclusive, healthier and happier communities.
We are seeking board members who resonate with this vision to help us guide and grow the organisation. In particular, we are seeking to recruit a number of non-executive directors to the board with background and professional experience in HR, Legal, Business Development and Marketing & Communications.
The successful candidates will have experience working in a similar role, either in a commercial organisation or another charity.
Expectations of all Board members include:
- An understanding, appreciation of and commitment to Neighbourhood Network’s vision, mission and values.
- To provide input to the strategic direction of the organisation.
- To inform, with expertise and experience, the organisation’s formation.
- To act as a trusted advisor to the CEO and Board members.
- To comply with the organisation’s governing document.
- Possible membership of a Sub-Committee of the Board.
Shared responsibilities of all board members include:
- Ensuring the organisation is complying with its charitable purpose for the public benefit
- Acting in the best interest of the organisation
- Acting with reasonable care and skill
- Overseeing the management of the assets of the organisation
- Commitment to all legal and fiduciary responsibilities, ensuring compliance with statutory obligations and ensuring best practice in corporate governance.
- The Board meets monthly, 11 times per year on Mondays, Via Zoom, for 1.5 hours.
- The time commitment is 1-2 hours a week with monthly meetings. The term of office is 1-2 years with the ability to renew for a further term.
- AGM held in April in Dublin or via Zoom.
Remuneration: This is a voluntary role.
Role specific responsibilities
- Specific responsibilities of this role include:
- Provide leadership on the development and implementation of a broad ranging fundraising and business development strategy to support and better fund the current and future work of Neighbourhood Network
- To provide input and support to the CEO and Board with the framing and assessment of business development models.
- Support the development of the organisation’s reach to potential donors and to explore different sources of sustainable funding.
- Oversee the ongoing development of the organisation’s fundraising strategy.
- To support the development and monitoring of effective risk management strategies, particularly relating to fundraising.
- Essential Experience, Skills and Personal Qualities:
- The candidate must be a business development professional, ideally with at least 3 years senior management experience in business development in the private, non-profit, or public sector.
- Good business acumen and the ability to understand and frame service and growth models in the technology/digital sector would be helpful.
- Knowledge of non-profit sector would be advantageous.
- Strong communication and relationship building skills.
About Neighbourhood Network
Street Feast CLG (T/A Neighbourhood Network) is an Irish not-for-profit organisation which aims to promote social inclusion, tackle loneliness and build supportive and resilient neighbourhoods around Ireland. Our work creates communities of empowered people, with a strong sense of local identity, and builds empathy and understanding between neighbours.
We are a young organisation that is building from the work of early social entrepreneurial pioneers. We are committed to achieving a high standard of organisational governance.
In 2020 the organisation focused on building strong foundations towards adopting the Charities Governance Code and we expect that 2021 will see significant progress in this area. The work was begun in building a values-based board and creating the systems, policies and structures essential for a vibrant organisation with high safety and compliance standards. Neighbourhood Network operates under the legal entity of Street Feast CLG (company register number 622674, Registered Charity: Pending).
Our year culminates with the national day of street lunches and community celebrations called ‘Street Feast’ that each year brings together over 110,000 people in 1,150 communities, through the simple act of sharing a meal with their neighbours. Since Street Feast began 10 years ago, we have seen a total of 5,563 Street Feasts take place across Ireland. President Michael D Higgins is our patron.
In 2020 we expanded our vision and mission, developed a range of dynamic community development programmes, and adopted a new name for the organisation; Neighbourhood Network.
For more information about the organisation, visit www.neighbourhoodnetwork.ie