Subcommittee role: Responsibility for Governance
Paralympics Ireland is the National Member in Ireland of Boccia International Sports Federation (BISFED) and governs the sport via a Sub-Committee of Paralympics Ireland called Boccia Ireland. The vision is for Boccia Ireland to become an independent autonomous NGB by 2025
Boccia Ireland is actively seeking expressions of interest from suitable candidates with necessary skills to sit on the Boccia Ireland subcommittee
Overview of the Role:
Boccia Ireland is looking for a skilled and motivated individual who is interested in joining our subcommittee with responsibility for Governance. The role will require the successful person to guide the board through the process to become a registered charity and as a company as we seek to divest ourselves from Paralympics Ireland to become a governing body in our own right. We also looking to this person to chair our disciplinary panel in the event of an incident occurring.
- Develop a roadmap for Boccia Ireland to become a registered charity.
- Assisting in the registration of Boccia Ireland as a company
- Guiding the board on its legal responsibilities
- Assisting the board in the development of its constitution and legal framework
- Assisting the board in the development of the membership structure to cater for different strata of membership.
- Act as a conduit to the safeguarding officer in Paralympics Ireland for vetting matters and safeguarding issues.
- Design of player, player assistants and official agreements
- Administrative duties as required to assist the development of Boccia Ireland
Time Period and Commitment
- Possible work may be required on weekends/evenings.
- Attendance of monthly committee meetings.
- Meetings will generally be held at Paralympics Ireland office or via Microsoft Teams.
- As required to carry out the role of Governance to ensure it success.
- Commitment, initially, of three years is required.
Irish Sport HQ, National Sports Campus, Blanchardstown, Dublin 15, Ireland.
However, unless the person is close to the meeting venue, participation in the board meeting shall be via teleconference or using Zoom/Teams technology.
Skills & Qualities Required
- Previous experience in the voluntary sector.
- Be comfortable engaging with people with disabilities (both physical and intellectual)
- Legal qualification or progressing towards a third level qualification in this field.
- Willingness to learn about the sport of Boccia
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Creativity, imagination, initiative & attention to detail
- Excellent networking skills
- Ability to work independently as well as within a small dynamic team
- A proven team player
- Good organisational, prioritisation and project management skill
- Media studies and/or relevant experience
- Understanding of disability and the sport of Boccia is desirable
- The role holder conducts themselves in a professional manner
- The role holder is respectful towards all
- Honesty, integrity, reliability, commitment & good time keeping
- Opportunity to work within the sports industry in Ireland
- Scope to make your own mark
- Development of interpersonal skills
This is a voluntary position however reasonable and verifiable out-of-pocket expenses will be reimbursed.
- Successful completion of Garda Vetting with Paralympics Ireland
- Completion of Schedule 2 of Paralympics Ireland Participant Rules
- A willingness to sign a Boccia Ireland board member code of conduct
Expressions of Interest, which should include a short cover letter and an up to date CV, can be sent to email@example.com.
Your cover letter should include the following:
- Why do you want to be Head of Governance at Boccia Ireland?
- What do you expect to gain from this position?
- Please explain how your previous experience is relevant to the role
NB CANVASSING BY ANY CANDIDATE WILL RESULT IN THEIR DISQUALIFICATION FROM THE PROCESS