Founded in 2004, Misean Cara is an Irish faith-based development organisation working with some of the most marginalised and vulnerable communities in developing countries. Working to realise the human rights of people through the delivery of basic services in the areas of education, health, livelihoods, and income generation, as well as advocacy, networking, and community mobilization. Our organisation is made up of 89-member organisations working in over 50 countries.
The Board of Directors has clear responsibilities and functions, and is composed and organised to discharge these functions:
- To govern Misean Cara effectively, ensuring compliance with all relevant legal and regulatory frameworks and with its governing document, striving for best practice and good corporate governance
- To determine the strategic direction of the organisation in line with its mission and values, ensuring adequate resources and funding are in place to affect this, and monitoring performance
- To maintain the fiduciary duty invested in the position, avoiding conflict of interest, and acting always in accordance with the organisational values
- To set and maintain a framework of delegation and internal control
- To seek appropriate professional advice in all matters of material risk to Misean Cara
- To comply with their statutory duties
- To ensure that Misean Cara upholds and promotes equal opportunities and diversity in all areas of its work including but not limited to resourcing, communications, Board and Committee Membership and procurement.
The Board is supported by Committees on Governance, Audit and Programme Oversight which compromise both Board and non-Board members.
The Board and its Committees are currently well served by people with strong development aid backgrounds, but we are currently seeking to recruit a new board member with experience and skills in:
- Human Resources.
Essential Skills/Qualities sought:
- An appreciation of development work
- An understanding of and commitment to our mission and values
- Commitment to highest levels of corporate governance
There will be 6 board meetings and up to 4 sub-committee meetings a year.
Meetings are held either on Zoom or in Misean Cara’s office: South Circular road, Kilmainham, Dublin 8.