Remuneration: Voluntary – reasonable expenses reimbursed
Duration: 3 years
MRI’s mission is to protect and support its members and their teams and volunteers as they save lives in mountainous areas.
The objects of MRI are as follows;
- To benefit the community by assessing and keeping under review the need for, and the requirements of, mountain rescue services in Ireland.
- To encourage an assist in the formation training, and development of mountain rescue teams.
- To represent and liaise with the community and state services with regard to the achievement of its objectives.
- To propagate information on mountain rescue and safety and take such action as is necessary to promote a wider appreciation of the need for mountain safety.
About Mountain Rescue Ireland:
MRI is an all island representative body for the 11 mountain rescue teams, registered in Ireland as a CLG;
- Donegal Mountain Rescue Team.
- Dublin Wicklow Mountain Rescue Team.
- Galway Mountain Rescue Team.
- Glen of Imaal Mountain Rescue Team.
- Kerry Mountain Rescue Team.
- Mayo Mountain Rescue Team.
- Mourne Mountain Rescue Team.
- North West Mountain Rescue Team.
- Search and Rescue Dogs Association (Ireland).
- Sligo Leitrim Mountain Rescue Team.
- South East Mountain Rescue Team.
Each team is a member of the company and is represented on the Executive Committee, along with a number of MRI Officers including Aviation, Medical, SARCALL, Peer Review, PR and Training. The Executive Committee also consists of the MRI Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer.
MRI supports the member teams strategically, mainly through the procurement of insurance policies (c. €90k) and bidding for grant monies from public funds (c. €250k). Additionally, MRI is represented at the National Search and Rescue Consultative Committee and Health and Safety Forum, hosted by the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport and the NI Search and Rescue Policy Group, hosted by the Department of Justice NI.
There are currently five Directors on the Board of Mountain Rescue Ireland. Three (Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer) are currently appointed from the internal membership and two (Mountaineering Sector and Charity Sector) are external appointments. The Directors are appointed at the Annual General Meeting by voting members of the company, for a three year term with a possible second term.
In particular, we are looking for an experienced Accountant to join the Board of the Mountain Rescue Ireland as Treasurer.
The treasurer and one of either the chairperson or secretary shall be the signees on all financial transactions and contracts. The treasurer shall report the current state of the funds at each meeting of the board, executive committee and general meetings of the company. The financial year shall be from 1 January to 31 December. The accounts shall be audited by an auditor appointed by an AGM or by the board if authorised to do so by a decision taken by membership at a general meeting.
The duties of the treasurer are as follows;
- Make all required returns to the Revenue Commissioners in a timely manner.
- Preparation of financial statements of the company for the board and executive committee.
- Recording all income and expenditure.
- Application and processing of grants and donations.
- Receive and processing of all properly authorised requests for payments by MRI.
What is involved?
- The Board meets 4 times a year. Meetings of approximately 1 hour take place in Dublin city centre or virtually.
- The Executive Committee meets 4 times a year. Meetings of approximately 2 to 3 hours take place in Dublin city centre or virtually.
- In addition, our annual conference takes place in March every year at which the Treasurer presents an overview of the company budget and finances to our membership.
- Time commitment is estimated at roughly 4 hours per month although this varies depending on the date of Board meetings and also the timing of the annual audit process.
We are looking for an exceptional individual
- Who has senior experience at Board level in not-profit or social enterprise.
- Who is passionate and interested in the questions that MRI raises and the solutions we offer.
- Who has ethical fibre and empathy.
- Who is trustworthy, has vision and high standards.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and accountancy.
- Is able to provide regular reports to the MRI Board and advise of ongoing strategic financial governance and health.
To apply: Please send an expression of interest with your CV to the Company Secretary (email@example.com). If you wish to discuss further, please contact the Chairperson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Companies Registration Office 613336 | Charity Registration No. CHY 22253 | Charities Regulator No. 2020673
The Virtual General Meeting will be conducted at 1300 hours on 08 August 2020. We hope to confirm the appointment of the Treasurer at this time.