The American Football Ireland (AFI) is seeking to appoint a Director of Communications who has a strong interest in sport and is willing to volunteer their time to a sporting organisation. This is a volunteer position and the successful applicant will be appointed to a rolling one year contract.
AFI is the National Governing Body for American football in Ireland and is recognised as such by Sport Ireland and the International Federation of American Football (IFAF). At present AFI is a volunteer-run organisation and there are over 1,600 active members involved in the sport at various levels. American football is a rapidly growing sport in Ireland, and we are expanding our Management team to meet this increased demand.
AFI is managed by a Board of Management, members of which are elected by the membership, who in turn appoint Directors to manage each section of the sport. The Communications Officer will work across all sections of the sport and will report to the AFI Board of Management.
- Implement communication and social media policies for AFI members
- Work with all sections of the sport to ensure the consistent delivery of the Association’s message and content
- Create engaging brand marketing material
- Establish content creation strategy in line with Association objectives
- Oversee the implementation of AFI’s social media strategy with existing communications team
- Work with the AFI Board r on public relations matters
- Serve as primary point of contact for all external queries
- Enhance internal communications among members and clubs
- Oversee the communications element of all AFI events
- Contribute to the strategic development of the sport
- Regularly measure the effectiveness of communication activities and plans through both qualitative and quantitative feedback, making changes and updates accordingly
Promoting and maintaining the core values of AFI
Monitor media, brand reputation and maintain media contacts.
Experience in Communications and Marketing environment
Experience in promoting brands via social media
Excellent interpersonal and social skills
Excellent administrative, organisational and IT skills
A self-starter work on your own initiative as well as working within multiple teams
Strong oral presentation skills
Self-motivated including self-starter
Good administration skills
Terms of Appointment
Attendance at AFI Board meetings & AGM as required (up to 6 per annum)
Reimbursement of travel expenses based on AFI mileage rates or vouched receipts
Equipment and consumables to perform the functions of the role subject to budgetary constraints