Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Outreach Project (DROP) is a community-based organisation that provides support services to individuals who are negatively affected by substance misuse. We offer a choice of individual one to one appointments and group programmes designed to support individuals at any stage of substance misuse and look to assist our service users in defining their progression path across our services, or by way of referral to another agency who can better meet their individual needs.
Our mission is to support people to recover from substance misuse in their own community through the provision of services that are accessible, service-user focused, high quality, non-judgemental and evidenced based
Board Members are chosen because they have a wide array of experience and personal qualities to bring to the organisation. They may also provide specialist knowledge which will help provide the organisation with valuable insights. Board Members of DROP help to ensure that the organisation operates effectively. They are expected, together with the chairperson, to oversee the development of the business plan through their contribution to strategy development, objective setting and robust Governance, Financial and performance oversight. The Board of Management conducts its work in compliance with the Governance Code for Community, Voluntary and Charitable organisations.
The chairperson has a strategic role to play in representing the vision and purpose of the organisation. The role involves overseeing that the organisation and Board is effectively run by:
- Leading the Board and the organisation to fulfil its mission
- Acting as a spokesperson and figurehead for the organisation.
- Ensuring that the Board functions in line with legislation, compliance requirements and company’s governing documents.
- Ensuring an effective relationship between the Board, Staff/volunteers & external stakeholders
- To supervise and support the Manager
The Chairperson will
- Take personal and organisational responsibility as a Board Member in leading the organisation
- Oversee the development and implementation of DROP’s Strategic aims
- Lead the board collaboratively in effective management of the organisation
- Lead or take part in one off projects as appropriate
- Work in line with the organisation’s Governance Handbook, Constitution and the Charities Governance Code.
- Participate in continued professional development in line with the role of Chairperson
- Ensure that a successor is found before the term of office ends.
- Knowledge and understanding of evidenced based addiction treatment and rehabilitation and of the workings of organisations similar to DROP
- Experience of a Board level role for an organisation of similar size and level of activity an advantage
- Passionate about addiction rehabilitation and recovery
- Previous experience that involved networking, publicity and public relations would be desirable
- Proven track record in leadership skills
- Excellent communicator and interpersonal skills
- Ability to ensure that decisions are taken and followed through to completion
- Experience of organisation and people management
- Ability to communicate effectively the vision and role of the organisation
- Represent and advocate for DROP at meetings with Funders, stakeholders and potential investors
- Ability to think, plan strategically and drive change
- Ability to challenge constructively and accept challenge where appropriate