Age Action is the national charity which promotes positive ageing and better policies and services for older people. Working with, and on behalf of, older people we aim to make Ireland the best place in the world in which to grow older.
General Trustee duties of a Charity Trustee:
• Comply with the Charity’s governing document
• Ensuring charity is complying with its charitable purpose for the public benefit
• Acting in the best interest of the charity
• Act with Reasonable Care and Skill
• Support collective responsibility of Board
Age Action are seeking a Chairperson for the Board. If you have relevant experience and want to play a role in Age Action, we are keen to hear from you.
Responsibilities of The Chairperson:
- Provides leadership and governance of the Board to create the conditions for overall Board and individual Director effectiveness and ensures that all key and appropriate issues are discussed by the Board in a timely manner.
- Ensures the upholding of Age Action Ireland policies and values statement is reflected in Board practice.
- Promotes effective relationships and open communication among Board members and with the CEO.
- Creates an environment that allows constructive debates on challenges, both inside and outside the boardroom, between non-executive Directors and the CEO.
- Ensures that the Board, plays a full and constructive part in the development and determination of the Organisation's strategies and policies, and that Board decisions taken are in the organisations best interests and fairly reflect Board consensus.
- Sets, in consultation with the Chief Executive, the Board meeting schedule and agenda to take full account of the important issues facing the Organisation and the concerns of all Directors and ensures that adequate time is available for thorough discussion of critical and strategic issues.
- Working with the CEO, Chair of the Finance and Audit Committee, the Governance & Risk Committee and other Board Committee Chairs as required, ensures that the Board is properly briefed on issues arising for discussion at Board meetings.
- Ensures annual Board review of its effectiveness; Board understanding of the distinct role of CEO & Directors; Directors understanding of their role and relationship with CEO/staff; and identification of training or development needs.
- Ensures annual appraisal of CEO.
- Working with Committee Chairs and Board members ensures all Board meetings and Committees operate effectively and efficiently i.e., meeting regularly; delivery of tasks; good timekeeping and records etc.
There will be approx. 8 board meetings and 8 sub-committee meetings a year. Meetings are held online or in Dublin City centre.