As the chairperson of Proudly Made in Africa, you will be part of a dynamic board overseeing a young executive team. You will get to sample exciting African products and hear about new businesses whose social values drive them to success.
General duties of a Charity Trustee:
- Comply with the Charity’s governing document
- Ensuring charity is complying with its charitable purpose for the public benefit
- Acting in the best interest of the charity
- Act with Reasonable Care and Skill
- Manage the assets of your charity
The responsibilities of the Chair are as follows:
- The Chairperson has a strategic role to play by effectively communicating the vision and purpose of the organisation, to ensure the Board functions well, that there is full participation at meetings.
- To plan and chair meetings in accordance with the governing document
- To liaise with CEO and to keep up to date on the affairs of the organisation
- To bring impartiality and objectivity to meetings and decision making
- To ensure that decisions made at meetings are implemented
- To be aware of current issues that might affect the organisation
- To advocate for and represent the organisation at external meetings and events if required
Full induction and training will be provided by PMIA upon appointment.
Qualities and skills required:
- Proven leadership skills
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Impartiality, fairness and the ability to respect confidences
- Ability to ensure decisions are taken and followed-up
- Good timekeeping
- Tact and diplomacy
- Understanding of the roles/responsibilities of a governing body
- Background in business strategic planning/NGO leadership/African development a bonus
There will be 4 quarterly board meetings and 2 sub-committee meetings a year. Meetings are held at PMIA headquarters in Dublin 1, though there are options to dial in remotely from time to time.