The Irish Second-Level Students' Union are seeking a Company Secretary. The company secretary provides comprehensive legal and administrative support and guidance to the board of trustees. If you have experience in this area and want to play a role in Irish Second-Level Students' Union we’re keen to hear from you.
The Irish Second Level Students' Union is the umbrella body for student councils in secondary schools in Ireland. Founded in 2008, it works towards an education system in which students are recognised as an official partner in creating a student-centred education that truly caters to their needs.The ISSU believes in empowering students, regardless of their background, to use their voice and become active citizens in society. The ISSU continues to grow as an organisation and bring the student voice to issues of a national interest
General Trustee Duties of a Charity Trustee & Company Director:
- Compliance with the charity’s governing documents
- Ensuring charity is complying with its charitable purpose for the public benefit
- Acting in the best interest of the charity
- Act with reasonable care and skill
- Manage the assets of your charity
Charity trustees may not profit from carrying out their duties as a charity trustee. Board members do not receive remuneration for Board membership. Travel and subsistence will be paid in line with ISSU policy and public sector rates.
Grounds for being disqualified from being a charity trustee include if a person:
- is adjudicated bankrupt;
- enters into a formal court approved insolvency arrangement with the Insolvency Service of Ireland;
- is convicted on indictment of an offence; and
- is a company that is in the course of being wound up.
Candidate specification includes the following:
- The candidate should have previous NGO fundraising expertise, ideally with 5 years+ experience.
- The successful candidate will offer oversight of compliance and risk management in line with usual board responsibilities.
Inputting to the strategic direction, contributing with insight, oversight and experience of strategy formulation in other sectors.
Responsibility to ensure that the company complies with all relevant statutory and regulatory requirements
Oversee administrative duties, such as taking agenda items and preparing and circulating the agenda and any other papers
Follow up on decisions taken at meetings in consultation with the chairperson
Ensure the taking of Minutes at Board meetings and make sure these are kept in a Minutes Book and circulated to other members of the Board as soon as possible after the meeting
Ensure membership records are up to dat
There will be a minimum of 4 board meetings a year, with some committee work outside of these meetings. Meetings are held in Liberty Hall, Dublin. Meetings can also be held virtually from time to time and voting would take place virtually
Term of Office:
The term of office will be two years with the possibility of renewable by agreement of the Board for an additional term of two years, if the trustee desires.