Role Description for Board Directors
Sunbeam House Services provides a range of supports to adults with intellectual disabilities.
We aim to empower people with the necessary skills to live full and satisfying lives as equal citizens of their local communities.
The board is responsible for the governance of Sunbeam House Services ensuring the successful delivery of services to adults with intellectual disabilities while ensuring regulatory compliance and fulfilment of its service commitments to the HSE.
Following adoption of an updated constitution, board membership has increased from 9 to 12 members. Accordingly, the board now wishes to recruit additional directors with strategic communications expertise, financial expertise, and/or housing/facilities expertise who can bring an important contribution to the deliberations and decisions of the Board.
The board meets monthly, in the evening time but additional meetings can be a requirement on occasion.
There are three sub committees; Audit and Risk, Quality and Nominations committee.
General duties of Sunbeam House Services Board Directors:
- Strategic direction: The director will have a clearer or wider view of external factors affecting Sunbeam House Services and its operating environment. The role of the director in strategy formation is to provide a creative and informed contribution and to act as a constructive critic in looking at the objectives and plans devised by the chief executive and his or her executive team
- Monitoring: The director should take responsibility for monitoring the performance of executive management, especially with regard to the progress made towards achieving the determined company strategy and objectives
- Communication: The Sunbeam House Services Board’s effectiveness can benefit from outside contacts and opinions. Therefore, it can be an important function of a director to help ‘connect’ business and Board with networks of potentially useful people and organisations. In some cases, the director may be called upon to represent the company externally.
- Leadership and effective governance: The director will be willing and able to serve as a member of the Board and share in the leadership and effective governance of the organisation.
- Act in the best interests of Sunbeam House Services: The Director’s values will be aligned with those of Sunbeam House Services, whose activities are currently distributed in the county of Wicklow and Dun Laoghaire and Rathdown.
- Act with reasonable care and skill: Be of independent mind, who are familiar with and/or are sensitive to the life experience of people with intellectual disabilities.
Candidates seeking to apply should
- Extensive experience at senior executive or Board level with appropriate understanding of corporate governance.
- Experience of operating with multiple stakeholders and/or involvement in community initiatives.
- Demonstrate strong experience in strategic communications or housing/facilities or financial services.
Candidates must have sufficient time and commitment to fulfil the role to prepare for and attend:
- Up to 12 scheduled board meetings
- Membership of Board Sub-committee(s)
- Annual General Meeting.
In addition, where possible, Sunbeam House Service Board Members are encouraged to participate in
- Attend occasional events, training, and seminars
- Quality and safety Board walk-rounds
The term of appointment is for three years.
Board Meetings are held in the premises of Sunbeam House Services in Bray, Co. Wicklow, and on MS Teams (virtual meetings).
Applicants should email a CV and a cover letter that indicates how they believe they fulfill the criteria to: Karen Kelly, Member of the Nominations Committee, Sunbeam House Services