Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Outreach Project (DROP) is a community based organisation that provides support services to individuals who are negatively affected by substance use dependency. We offer a choice of group programmes and individual one to one appointments designed to support individuals at any stage of problematic substance use and support participants to define their progression path across our services or through referral to a more appropriate agency who can better meet their individual needs.
A new and exciting opportunity to fill the role of Board Member with Human Resource expertise has arisen and we are seeking a volunteer to contribute their skills, expertise and enthusiasm to an existing board of highly motivated and dedicated non-executives.
We wish to expand our Board in order to build on our current expertise as we enter into a new and exciting phase of change and growth for the organisation. Board members are chosen because they have a wide array of experience and particular personal qualities to bring to our organisation. On this occasion we are seeking the interest of individuals who have experience in HR Management and employment law across both the private and community and voluntary sector. This role is voluntary and no remuneration is given to board members, however the organisation will meet any out of pocket expenses incurred in fulfilling your role as board member.
You must have sufficient time and commitment to fulfil the role which will require between 4-6 hours per month in order to prepare for and attend:
Monthly Scheduled board meetings, 10 per year; bi-monthly sub-committee meetings, 5 per year; the Annual General Meeting and a Board review day.
The Board member with expertise in HR Management must be willing to:
- Commit to the overall Mission, Vision, ethos and work of the Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Outreach Project CLG
- Commit to giving time to prepare for and attend meetings
- Be a member of the Governance & HR Subcommittee and provide guidance in relation to all HR matters
- Actively participate as a key member of the Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Outreach Project CLG to support the Board and Manager with oversight on HR elements of the organisation ongoing and any future growth
- Be available to discuss issues, as they arise, with the Manager on HR matters
- Be aware of any HR issues that may affect the organisation and play a key role in overseeing any high level HR risks to the organisation
All board members
- Take personal and organisational responsibility as a Board Member
- Contribute to the development and implementation of DROP’s Strategic aims
- Raise DROP’s profile as a valued community based rehabilitation service provider and support through attendance and networking at events and meetings, and generate interest in our work from potential stakeholders.
- Support the Chairperson in leading the organisation
- Lead or take part in one off projects as appropriate
- Work in line with the organisation’s governance handbook
- Working experience and an excellent track record in HR Management/Employment Law
- Data recording skills
- Task Management Skills
- Digital Communication & IT Skills
- Good attention to detail
- Experience of strategy planning is an advantage
- Knowledge of the community and voluntary sector in Ireland
TERM OF OFFICE
There is an annual performance review at the end of the first year as Board Member. Subject to satisfactory review and board approval the role will continue for an additional period of three years. After this time the Board Member may choose to step down or at the invitation of the Board may undertake a further two-year tenure
DECLARATION OF INTEREST
All Board Members are required to complete a Conflict of Interest Declaration Form on Induction. Any conflicts will be noted and retained on file for the duration of time as a board member.
All Board Members are expected to work in line with the Governance Handbook and the organisations policies and procedures in relation to confidentiality and data protection.
TIME REQUIREMENT FOR THE ROLE
The table below aims to give an approximate indication of the time required for various activities. Meetings take place in DROP, 45 Upper Georges Street Dun Laoghaire at 6pm.
Activity & Approximate time commitment
Core Role including phone calls: 4-6 hours per month
Sub committee meetings: All board members also sit on one Subcommittees of the Board of Management. These meet bi-monthly for 1 hour
Board Meetings:Board meetings take place monthly and last approximately 1.5hours. The AGM takes place Annually lasting approximately 1 hour
If you are interested in this role – what next?
If all the above sounds interesting and is something that you would like to get involved in please complete the attached Expression of Interest Form and return to Anthea Carry, Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you wish to discuss the role further you can contact Anthea on 01 2803187.