Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Outreach Project (DROP) is a community-based organisation that provides support services to individuals who are negatively affected by substance misuse. We offer a choice of individual one to one appointments and group programmes designed to support individuals at any stage of substance misuse and look to assist our service users in defining their progression path across our services, or by way of referral to another agency who can better meet their individual needs.
Our mission is to support people to recover from substance misuse in their own community through the provision of services that are accessible, service-user focused, high quality, non-judgemental and evidenced based
Board Members are chosen because they have a wide array of experience and personal qualities to bring to the organisation. They may also provide specialist knowledge which will help provide the organisation with valuable insights. Board Members of DROP help to ensure that the organisation operates effectively. They are expected, together with the chairperson, to oversee the development of the business plan through their contribution to strategy development, objective setting and robust Governance, Financial and performance oversight. The Board of Management conducts its work in compliance with the Governance Code for Community, Voluntary and Charitable organisations.
The role of Board Member with clinical expertise is to help DROP to improve and enhance its service provision and provide the Board and management with knowledge and expertise in the area of addiction rehabilitation.
Provide a clinical perspective to the organisation and oversight to the review and development of DROP’s service provision across both one to one and group programmes.
All board members
- Take personal and organisational responsibility as a Board Member
- Contribute to the development and implementation of DROP’s Strategic aims
- Raise DROP’s profile as a valued community based rehabilitation service provider and support through attendance at events and meetings, by generating interest in our work from potential stakeholders.
- Support the Chairperson in leading the organisation
- Lead or take part in one off projects as appropriate
- Work in line with the organisation’s governance handbook
- Attend relevant training /workshops as required
- Clinical experience gained in the area of substance misuse treatment and rehabilitation with a strong service delivery background.
- Knowledge and understanding of Addiction treatment and rehabilitation and of the workings of organisations similar to DROP
- Experience of implementing new processes and systems
- Passionate about addiction rehabilitation and recovery
- Medical practitioner/Addiction Specialist/Psychologist with clinical experience a distinct advantage
- Experience of a Board level role for an organisation of similar size and level of activity an advantage
- Ability to think and plan strategically and take a board perspective of the environment in which the organisation operates
- Have a genuine interest in helping DROP achieve its vision and strategic goals
- Possess well-developed interpersonal skills, be and an effective communicator
- Ability to challenge constructively and accept challenge where appropriate
- A high standard of networking and public relations skills
- Knowledge of evidenced based treatment models
TERM OF OFFICE
There is an initial probationary of six months where a role review will be conducted with the Chairperson. Thereafter an annual board review will be held. Within these reviews the Board Member may choose to remain or step down from the Board of Management and/or subcommittees.
DECLARATION OF INTEREST
All Board Members are required to complete a Conflict of Interest Declaration Form on Induction. Any conflicts will be noted and retained on file for the duration of tenure. These will be reviewed annually by the Chairperson of the Board of Management
Board members should not release confidential information gained as a result of their involvement with DROP to any external third party without expressed written consent to do so. All Board Members are expected to work in line with the Governance Handbook and the organisations policies and procedures in relation to confidentiality and data protection.
TIME REQUIREMENT FOR THE ROLE
The details below aim to give an approximate indication of the time required for various activities. Meetings take place in DROP, 45 Upper Georges Street Dun Laoghaire in the morning time.
Approximate time commitment
Core Role including phone calls 4 hours per month
Sub committee meetings
All board members also sit on one Subcommittees of the Board of Management. These meet bi-monthly for 1 hour
Board meetings take place monthly and last approximately 1.5hours.
The AGM takes place Annually lasting approximately 1 hour
If you are interested in this role – what next?
If the above position is of interest to you please complete the Expression of Interest Form and return to Anthea Carry, Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you wish to discuss the role further you can contact Anthea on 01 2803187.